Sunday, December 16, 2007

Top Ten

The following is a list of what I consider to be the top ten albums of 2007. Respond or retaliate as you see fit.

1.) Spoon "GaGaGaGaGa"-If you liked any of Spoon's previous records, you most likely appreciated this one. The first time I sat down and listened to this record, I felt like I completely understood it. Upon further listening there is still stuff to pick up on every time. I really loved this. SONGS: Don't You Evah, You Got Yr. Cherry Bomb

2.) The Shins "Wincing the Night Away"- Whether or not you think this album is better than "Chutes Too Narrow," it's still one of the best of the year. I saw them in Denver just after the release of this record. I went to the show alone, and was blown away. I could listen to this album all day. SONGS: Girl Sailor, Turn On Me, Phantom Limb

3.) Menomena "Friend & Foe"- One of the most unique albums I put on here. I'd never heard anything quite like this when I bought the album. SONGS: Rotten Hell, Muscle'n Flow

4.) Lupe Fiasco "The Cool"- With the expected release date of Dec. 18th, this album will make Lu a superstar. This is potentially the best hip-hop album I have ever heard. He is one of the best lyricists period. Soundtrakk's production is flawless, and Lu's thematic narrative is something new to the genre. SONGS: Dumb It Down, Go Go Gadget Flow, Little Weapon

5.) Foo Fighters "Echoes, Silence, Patience, and Grace"- The newest release from my favorite band of all time is one their best in a few years. With disappointing releases in "One by One" and "In Your Honor" this album hearkens back to the early days of the Foo. Dave Grohl rocks it out for the 7th time. I woke up at 4am to get tickets to their show on Jan. 28. I actually cannot wait.
SONGS: The Pretender, Long Road To Ruin, But Honestly

6.) Kanye West "Graduation"- Another amazing record from Mr. West. With appearances by T-Pain, Chris Martin, and Lil' Wayne, this album is nonstop action. I listened to this straight for a week. SONGS: Barry Bonds, Homecoming, Champion

7.) Band of Horses "Cease to Begin"- If you have not gotten into these guys yet, you need to. This album so so delicate and perfect. SONGS: Is There A Ghost, Detlef Schrempf, The General Specific

8.) Feist "The Reminder"- This album is totally great. Leslie Feist follows her last album with one that is potentially better. Great for the Christmas season too. SONGS: I Feel It All, Brandy Alexander, One Two Three Four

9.) The White Stripes "Icky Thump"- I hadn't always given These guys any credit, but when I heard this album, I was blown away. The title track is one of the best of all time. Their inventive use of new instruments is amazing. A true rock album. SONGS: Icky Thump, Conquest, Little Cream Soda

10.) Kevin Drew "Spirit If..."- Co-founder of Broken Social Scene Kevin Drew, breaks away to create his own sound. Although a lot like BSS, Drew's sound is unique on it's own. With help from Pavement, Metric, and Dinosaur Jr., this record rocks. SONGS: Farewell to Pressure Kids, When It Begins

1 comment:

Andrew Michael Jacobs said...

Hey Nate,

AJ here. I appreciate good music to listen to. Thanks.

The best lyric I heard this past year was by Colin Hay: "When I woke today, suddenly nothing happened." From the song "Waiting For My Real Life to Begin".

I have fallen in love with Copeland. They are the perfect mellow band for me. "When You Thought You'd Never Stant Out", "Careful Now", and "Hold Nothing Back" are amazing to me.

In accordance with the prophesy,

Andy